What have you learned from Gandhi & Shashtri ji?
India is celebrating birthdays of two of its great leaders: Mahatma Gandhi & Lal Bahadur Shashtri. These leaders taught us to make a powerful impact in the world by their actions. Both lead a simple life while dedicating themselves for the country. I thought of writing about their life and message on this occasion on my blog. But no matter how much I thought, I only covered a very minor aspect of their life. So instead I decided to share some of their quotes that are still very much relevant in today's context.
If any of their message has impacted your life, please share how.
My favourite quotes from Gandhi Ji:
- A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes.
- A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
- You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Before the throne of the Almighty, man will be judged not by his acts but by his intentions. For God alone reads our hearts.
- A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
- A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.
- An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
- An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
- Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
- In a gentle way, you can shake the world.
- I do not want to foresee the future. I am concerned with taking care of the present. God has given me no control over the moment following.
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Here are some of my favourite quotes from Shashtri Ji':
- आर्थिक मुद्दे हमारे लिए सबसे ज़रूरी हैं, और यह बेहद महत्त्वपूर्ण है कि हम अपने सबसे बड़े दुश्मन गरीबी और बेरोजगारी से लड़ें.
- भ्रष्टाचार को पकड़ना बहुत कठिन काम है, लेकिन मैं पूरे जोर के साथ कहता हूँ कि यदि हम इस समस्या से गंभीरता और दृढ संकल्प के साथ नहीं निपटते तो हम अपने कर्तव्यों का निर्वाह करने में असफल होंगे.
- “The basic idea of governance, as I see it, is to hold the society together so that it can develop and march towards certain goals. The task of the Government is to facilitate this evolution, this progress. It must provide proper conditions and a proper climate for this purpose. While governing, the administrator must, therefore, keep certain trends in view. He should be aware of the policies which he has to implement and of the methods which are open to him for their implementation. He should know what the Government wants and at the same time be attuned to the needs of the people”.
“Those who govern must see how the people react to administration. Ultimately, the people are the final arbiters.”